Long time, no blog. Sorry about that.
At last update, we were back at Square One with funding. In the meantime, 2011 was a very good year for us and that meant we were able to put some funds into the project and keep moving. With these funds, we decided to concentrate on one of the six cabins and try to get it done. Soup to nuts--all of it.
The “double cabin” was our victim last summer. We gutted it all the way down to the studs and found quite a few wasp nests tucked away. Active ones. Nice.
Here's a list of what we accomplished last summer:
-:- Rewired the entire cabin.
-:- Insulated the walls and ceiling (underneath the cabin will be done in Summer 2012)
-:- Installed new windows and doors.
-:- Rebuilt the front porch
-:- Started a small deck/sitting area on the back.
It's a good list for only being up there six weeks, and for half of that time, Chip was working on his own. Renae and I could only join him for two weeks.
We also made sure to clear out an area by the river where we could relax and get down to the water easily. One day, after a particularly grueling and filthy day of work, we grabbed some drinks from the fridge and headed down to the water in our clothes. Yup, we went into the water fully dressed. It was glorious, refreshing, restorative. Ahhhh!
This year, we want to finish that cabin totally. It's very important to us to continue to see progress. Although it isn't happening as quickly as we'd hoped, there is movement and we love it.
Stay tuned, more updates to come as we progress this summer.